I was driving this morning and was singing, sipping coffee, talking on the cell phone, pretty everything but driving. So I turned everything off, put the coffee down and did some thinking. What if the next time you drove you were an active driver, a focused driver, a driver who was paying more attention to the road and less attention to all of the things we have in our cars that offer entertainment while driving. Think about that for a second. Our cars are designed to be our home away from home. THey have music, dvd players, butt warmers, and pretty much all the other gadgets that make our drive more entertaining.
It seems everything we have is designed for talking our mind off the task at hand, driving. We're all so busy with life, going here and there, rushing from point a to point b. What if we took the time were are in the car as quite time, self reflection time, or prayer time? What if for 5, 10, 30 minutes we didn't answer the phone or listen to our ipods, what if we just were? What if we just actively drove. I did that this morning and I noticed the freeway and the cars around me with a greater clarity then yesterday . I became active instead of passive. As everyone always says, I was "in the moment". The thing I noticed is that I was a calmer less irritated driver. Maybe this was because I wasn't upset by other drivers who took me away from a phone call or a song I was singing when they cut me off. Or maybe it was because I was so active in my driving that cars didn't cut me off. I wonder. I know it's hard to take time away from the world, but don't you think we'd be a better place if we all reclaimed "quite" time. Do you think that if we took away the distractions while driving we'd have less accidents? Who knows. Know I'm sure you're saying your an active driver, but are you really? I mean really? I challenge you, the next time you step inside your car, don't do anything but drive. See what happens.
Peace
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment