We take a lot of self photos... this one was right before we left for dinner.
We were supposed to go to the timeshare today to see The Grand Mayan Restort. We were invited the night before as we left Gus Gus by a charming vato loco, really. Well when we woke up we searched the phone book/travel book/guide book and local barista and we coudln't find this place. Our vato loco was suppose to meet us at 9:30 in front of the hotel (we had an 8:45 date with another timeshare but blew him off for Juan Jose) and yet Mon and I couldn't locate this place. The invitation didn't even have a address, so we used our good judgement, i know dad, you're shocked that I have some, and decided to sneak out the hotel the back way and make our way downtown. I'm gald we did because the deal was shady and I think had we gone I would be blogging from some shanty in mexico.
We ended up haveing an amazing day. We took a self guided art walk of old mazatlan's local gallerys and had such an interesting time. We walk though the market and I tried my best to not vomit and keep an open mind. Mon took a few pictures of whole cow heads! We had lunch in this cute little place right before everyone took an afternoon siesta. It's always happy hour in mexico so everytime you order a drink you get two, that's the reason everyone is so drunk here. It's amazing how many drunks we see, always Americans!
Fun story - we were in the art shop and Monica, the know it all artist was looking at this amazing panting (picture large canves with lots of red/brown/rust/oragne with a few smaller red blobs and one larger blueishgreen blob. Monica pointed it out saying she loved the shoe picture and I said "shoe? What Shoe?" and she said "what do you mean shoe, how can you not see the shoe" So I looked a little more and said "that's not a shoe" she replied in a haughty arty tone, "of course it's a shoe how can you not see it's a shoe" and me, being me responded with "I don't understand why it has to be a shoe, it could be a rock, i think it's a rock." She laughed and shook her head and said "no it's a shoe" so we moved on. After a few more moments of looking in the shop she decided to ask the cost of the painting. After figuring out that they were saying 1,200 pesos not 1,000 pesos we asked the name of the panting, which was something like planet ground. i asked the woman what the blueishgreen thing was and she said it was a STONE! HA! This is where I did my touchdown-victory dance all over the store lauging all the way out and Monica and her shoe! It was a great moment for me.
Old town Mazatlan is pretty interesting and we look forward to going back on saturday for dinner and Padro and Lola's. After our trip downtown we went back to the hotel where Mon slept and I spent time at the beach. Finally, I was suckered into a beach vendor and his goods. He was charming and he kept reminding me that everything was almost free and it was "only money after all". THe life of these beach peddlers is really interesting, it's very oraganized and they are all very persistance. Anyway after watching the sun go down over the pacific we changed and went to this really tasty Italian dinner, then we came home and here we are now.
it's been a good day. Tomorrow it's off to stone island, which I'm really looking forward to, then on Friday it's Copola which should be an interesting look into a mexican village.
it's been a good day. Tomorrow it's off to stone island, which I'm really looking forward to, then on Friday it's Copola which should be an interesting look into a mexican village.
Mon took some cool photos today which everyone will see once she's home and has had time to download them onto her work computer. I know my blogs are not very exciting, it's just that were not doing things that are that blogable, it's really a true vacation of lazyness and sand.
Peace

No comments:
Post a Comment