Day One – The Longest Day of My Life.
We boarded the plane at 2:15 Sunday am for a scheduled 2:45 take off time. The plane was nice, the crew nice and the in flight meal (on a two hour flight) was fine. There was a bit of turbulence but nothing crazy. Both Mon and I were able to sleep, for 30 minutes. We landed 10 minutes ahead of schedule and walk off the plan at 6:15 Mazatlan time. Get our bags, going though customs and finding the exit were easy. The hard part was maneuvering the timeshare crazy people that get you and every turn. Finally we selected a 6$ shuttle and were off. Both Mon and I had now been up for 24 hours so I wasn’t taking in much. I do however remember thinking that Mexico looked like a jungle that people came into, built a road and started building half house and big boxes and factories and then just stopped. Our first glimpse of this amazing destination was basically driving in south la or maybe it’s east. Anyway, whatever you’ve seen in moves it’s pretty spot on.
After a 30 minute car ride we arrived at the mega plex El Cid. 7:30 was 7 hours to early for check in, so Mon and I dropped our bags of with the Bell desk, changed into beach friendly clothing and headed to the outdoor restaurant in our hotel. Very beautiful, rattan chairs, big umbrellas, sun, sand and surf. After a so so breakfast we walked the few steps to the beach, found nice lounge chairs and tried to nap. We were unsuccessful in sleeping. The waves were loud, the people were loud and mostly we were too excited to sleep. The vendors come up everyone two seconds asking you to buy something, it jets annoying but you get over it. While they have some cool stuff we’re waiting for “Cheap Charlies” which we’re told is the place to buy stuff. We were pretty beat at this point and all we wanted to do was check into our room. However, it wasn’t ready. So Mon and I did the next best thing and had a Pina Colada. It was great. We felt like that corona commercial where all you see are the peoples feet, all you hear is the crashing sound of the waves and all you know is that simple relaxing is the only task at hand. I meet a few people on the beach which was nice. It seems that Mazatlan lends to women travelers and single women travelers. Linda was traving with her sisters and friends and told us of Cheap Charlie’s and Sandra, echoed later by Linda, said we just had to eat at Gus Gus sometime during our stay.
After a few hours and being sucked into one timeshare (we see it on Monday, and no we PROMISE we won’t buy) later we were ready to check into our two bedroom, three bath, two kitchen, one living room suit. It’s pretty sweet. The décor might be fore the late 70’s but it’s still a fun place and way to big for just me and Mon. The floors are marble and the towels and toilet paper are all folded up into funny shapes. The beds are hard, but not as hard a China so that’s a plus. We have a balcony off the living room and off my room. Amazing views. I don’t do well with heights so I’ve pretty much just took the phto and left the balcony alone. view of from our room
After a quick change and Monica’s 10 minute nap we walked out of our hotel and into a golf car cab and asked to be taken to the best seafood place in town. 33 pesos later we were at this very cute very local Mexican restaurant. We ordered some beer and just sat watching the waves crash against the rocks. While sipping my beer, listening to the harp playing mariachis I really felt like I was on vacation and having one of those remember forever moments. Lunch was shrimp in a coconut which was pretty good even if it tasted more Indian then Mexican! After lunch we walked along the beach back to our hotel where we did a bit of wondering and a little more laying in the sun. Monica and I had a goal, which was to see a firework show that only happens on Sunday at La Playa Mazatlan Hotel. This is the reason that we hadn’t finally said after 30 hours of no sleep to just call it a night. We jumped into another golf car taxi and 50 pesos later ended up at the hotel where we had drinks, appetizers and watched this really cheesy, not to safe but really fun firework display. After a few hours and the sleepless hours finally catching up to us we decided it was time for showers and sleep. I took a shower tonight in a shower/bath that could easily fit 5. Tomorrow I think I might us the walk in marble shower.
It’s been an amazing day keep in mind while ready this that I am typing this up on my 40th hour of being awake. Tomorrow it’s an early day as well as we have timeshares not to buy! It’s crazy what they will give you if you just go see. I’ve heard that they give you a hard sell but all you have to do is say no. I’m good at that!
I wish that everyone was here to experience this with us. I can’t tell you how many times today I went to use my cell phone. It’s registered and I can use it as an alarm clock but as far as making calls I haven’t been able to figure it out. Which is a good thing.
I’m really looking forward tomorrow as were off to Old Mazatlan to see the lighthouse, the cliff divers and some local art and the flea market. Oh joy, the flea market.
Enjoy the photos of our first day, keep in mind I took most of the photos.
Peace

No comments:
Post a Comment